Burning on Domestic Premises


Incinerators & Backyard Burning

Under the provisions of the EPA Burning Policy 1994 lighting or maintaining fires in the open or in incinerators is prohibited on domestic premises.

Fires for the preparation of food

BBQFires are permitted when used principally for the preparation of food or beverages or the heating of a potable liquid (eg. sauce).

A fire is not permitted to boil water for the purpose of sterilising containers to store the potable food or liquid. A gas ring on a gas bottle should be used for this purpose.

Burning of wood treated with chemical preservatives is completely prohibited.

Heating for personal comfort

All solid fuel heaters sold and installed in South Australia must comply with relevant Australian standards. For more information please click here.

The following heaters may be used to heat an area used for outdoor entertainment provided that the requirements listed for each heater are complied with.

  • A Brazier using charcoal as fuel (a 44 gallon drum cannot be used in place of a Brazier).
  • A Chiminea (or similar) burning dry paper, dry cardboard, dry wood.
  • An Outdoor Fireplace burning dry paper, dry cardboard, dry wood

Fire hazard reduction

Under the Fire and Emergency Services Act 2005, the owner of any land within the boundaries of Campbelltown City Council must take reasonable steps to protect property on the land from fire, and to prevent or inhibit the outbreak of fire, or the spread of fire.

FireProperty owners must cut/slash, before 1st December, any grass, weeds or other growth, which may become flammable during the Fire Danger Season. Failure to comply with any notice issued by Council under Fire & Emergency Services Act 2005 to destroy flammable undergrowth will result in Council carrying out the work and recovering the cost from the land owner. The Fire Danger Season is from December 1st to April 30th each year.

Vacant Land

Owners of vacant land are reminded they need to ensure that they maintain their blocks regularly throughout the year. Blocks that are not maintained become overgrown and may become a fire risk during the summer months. Unmaintained blocks also attract vermin and illegal dumping which in turn can create a nuisance to neighbours.

Penalties may apply to blocks that are not cleared by the start of the fire danger season.


Fireworks requests in relation to private land should be directed to: Safework SA, GPO Box 465, Adelaide SA 5001. Application forms and further information can be found on Safework SA's website. Reports about illegal fireworks on private property should be directed to SA Police on 131 444.

Fireworks requests in relation to Council land should be made in writing and addressed to Chief Executive Officer, Campbelltown City Council, PO Box 1, Campbelltown SA 5074.  Enquiries should be directed to Council's Fire Prevention Officer on 8366 9227.

For further information visit the EPA website or contact Council’s Fire Prevention Officer on 8366 9227.

ERACampbelltown Made South Australia
Font SizeDecrease font size Reset font size Increase font size