World War II Memorial
Council is pleased to advise that construction of the new World War II Memorial on the corner of Darley and Lower North East Roads is complete. While the land where the memorial stands has been owned by council for almost 100 years, it was named Campbelltown Memorial Oval in 1948 to commemorate those who served in World War II. However, no official memorial was established to acknowledge the reasons behind the name. In November 2013, Council passed a motion for staff to prepare a design for a WWII memorial at the site which was subsequently approved as part of the 2014/15 annual budget.
While there are many events in Australia’s history (military or otherwise) that deserve to be recognised through memorials, Council believes that a WWII memorial is most suitable for the proposed site and complements the World War 1 Memorial at the intersection of Lower North East Road and Gorge Road in front of St Martin’s Church. Additionally, Council has a Memorial at Gums Reserve which recognises all Australian men and women who served during war and peace times.