Services

Cemeteries

Listen

There are two historic cemeteries managed by Campbelltown City Council, Athelstone Independent Cemetery and Old Pioneer Cemetery. To assist you when visiting both cemeteries, location maps are available below:

Athelstone Independent Cemetery Map(1026 kb)

Old Pioneer Cemetery Map(48 kb)

Council is currently working on making the records of people buried or interred at our cemeteries available on our website and we hope to have this work completed in February. If you require this information before then please visit us or contact us at the details below.

New Burials & Ashes Memorials

The Old Pioneer Cemetery has burial sites available for purchase if the deceased person has a family association with the Athelstone Primitive Methodist Church congregation and lived the majority of their lives in the Campbelltown City Council area. Please note:

  • There is to be no pre-purchase of sites at the Old Pioneer Cemetery.
  • An associated person (or their spouse) may only purchase one burial site.
  • The consent of the Mayor and the Chief Executive Officer is required for these purchases.

At this time there are no available burial sites available for purchase at Athelstone Independent Cemetery. However, there are ashes memorial positions available on the Columbarium Walls at both cemeteries.

The term of internment rights for both burials and positions on the Columbarium Walls is forty years.

For all advice on burials and ashes memorials you can contact the Council by:

  • Completing the Council’s General Contact Form, including as much information as possible.
  • Emailing the Council at mail@campbelltown.sa.gov.au.
  • Calling the Council on 8366 9222 between 8.45am and 5.00pm Monday to Friday.
  • Writing to the Council at ‘PO Box 1, Campbelltown SA 5074’.

History

Athelstone Independent Cemetery

The Athelstone Independent Cemetery is located at 3 Schulze Court, Athelstone SA 5076.

The Village of Shipley was established in the 1850s to house and feed the workforce building the nearby Thorndon Park Reservoir, which was South Australia’s first reservoir and the largest infrastructure project of its day. The Shipley Congregational (later Independent) Chapel was built in 1853, on an acre of land donated by Henry Hersey and was opened for worship on 18 June 1854.

However, once the Thorndon Park Reservoir was completed in 1860, the distance from town and the small population proved to be insurmountable obstacles. By 1913 the Chapel was deserted, described as a "nesting place for birds" in one contemporary newspaper account. The final service was held in 1926, and the abandoned Chapel was demolished, but the cemetery remains in use as a burial place for people of all denominations.

Campbelltown City Council took over management of the cemetery in June 1966.

Some of those buried there include:

  • Giovanni ‘John’ AMADIO (d. 1983) born in Castignaono, Italy, market gardener in ‘East Marden’, Campbelltown, and founder of Amadio Wines.
  • Henry and Annie HERSEY (d. 1893 & 1906) market gardeners, sauce-maker, carpenter, and noted diarist of early Athelstone.
  • Géza LAKATOS (d. 1967) the last constitutional Prime Minister of the Royal Kingdom of Hungary, having briefly overthrown Nazi occupation in 1944.
  • James MARCHANT (d. 1868) established a Bakehouse in 1854 on the corner of Russell and Gorge roads, later the Marchant General Store, which operated as a family owned business for 102 years.
  • Annie OLDLAND (d. 1932), Emily STARR (d. 1898), and Elsie KERNEY (d. 1901) wife and daughters of John Kerney (d. 1892), infamous as South Australia’s Captain Thunderbolt.

Old Pioneer Cemetery

The Old Pioneer Cemetery is located at 1A Lymm Avenue, Athelstone SA 5076.

The Gorge Primitive Methodist Church (later, The Athelstone East Methodist Church) opened for worship as the “Little Glory” Church in 1861, on land facing Gorge Road, near the corner of Lymn Avenue.

The nearby Wesleyan Methodist Church (later the Athelstone West Methodist Church) was built a few years earlier in 1855 and was demolished in 1969 to make way for the Athelstone Shopping Centre. Shortly before the Athelstone West Methodist Church was demolished, the two Methodist congregations combined. The last service at the Athelstone East Methodist Church was held on Sunday 11 March 1973. However, the Church proved to be structurally unsound and was demolished in 1977. The cemetery was re-named the Old Pioneer Cemetery in honour of the many early pioneers from the Athelstone area buried on this site.

Campbelltown City Council took over management of the cemetery in 1976.

Some of those buried there include:

  • Stephen AMBER (d. 1886) was a foundation member of the Gorge Primitive Methodist Church and a trustee of the Wesleyan Church. A member of the Payneham Council, he led the split in 1867, which resulted in the formation of the Campbelltown Council in 1868.   
  • Mark & Mary Ann BILNEY (d. 1898 & 1898) market gardeners, sauce-makers and cayenne pepper manufacturers. Mark Bilney was one of was one of the first stand-holders in the East End Market and Mary Ann Bilney won numerous awards, including the gold medal at the London Exhibition 1873-4, for her mushroom catsup.
  • Heinrich Albrecht Ludwig ‘Henry’ EY (d. 1927) born at Klemzig in 1856 to Prussian (German) parents who purchased land in Athelstone in 1853. Part of a long established market gardening family who grew fruit and vegetables.
  • William & Mary Dudley PACKER (d. 1898 & 1897) were born in Gloucestershire, England, their descendants purchased land in Athelstone, Highbury and Paradise. The family played a major role in the development of the celery industry in South Australia.

Related Information

Community Cemeteries Policy(110 kb)

ERACampbelltown Made South Australia
Font SizeDecrease font size Reset font size Increase font size
Navigation